Some of the biggest stars in the world have stepped out for the second annual Albie Awards at the New York Public Library – but what are “The Albies” exactly, and why are there so many celebrities there?
Friends, we’ve got you covered.
The Albies are the set of awards started by George and Amal Clooney in 2022 through their Clooney Foundation for Justice, to spotlight people around the world who put their lives at risk to defend justice. We’re talking journalists, human rights activists, education campaigners, and more. The aim is to not only let us know about their important work but also serve as a protective measure, letting their persecutors know the world is watching.
The awards are named after anti-apartheid hero Albie Sachs who was awarded the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award at the Albies last year.
This year, the honourees include:
- Dr. Denis Mukwege who has dedicated his life to treating survivors of wartime sexual violence and campaigning against rape as a weapon of war,
- Journalists Niloofar Hamedi and Elahe Mohammadi who brought the death of Mahsa Amini to light, ultimately starting a global movement for the rights of the women of Iran,
- Truth Hounds, an organisation on the frontlines of Ukraine, investigating atrocities committed by Russian forces,
- The Syrian Centre for Media and Freedom which advocates for freedom of speech and human rights in the country, and
- Thai Lawyers for Human Rights who are defending thousands of students, activists and journalists arrested under laws criminalising peaceful protest and speech.
A number of famous faces attended the event held on September 28, including Viola Davis, Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig, Greta Gerwig, Melinda and Phoebe Gates, Sofia Vergara, Heidi Klum and Andra Day.
There was even a mini The Devil Wears Prada reunion with Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt both there as well.
These celebrities are using their star power to show their support for the honourees but also the incredible work the Clooney Foundation for Justice continues to do everyday. Check out some of the photos below:
View this post on Instagram
(Feature Image Credit: Cindy Ord/Getty Images)